AuxComm Opportunities in CERT
The CERT Program is a Partner Program of the FEMA Citizen Corps. Unlike other Partner and Affilitated Programs, CERT is a consumer of emergency services from first responders and other emergency service providers. It is a provider of emergency services to the community it is chartered to protect.
CERT teams are generally sponsored by government organizations. In Palm Beach County only xxxx and yyyy sponsor their municipality's CERT program.
Palm Beach County currently has more than 50 independently sponsored CERT Programs which are only losely affiliated with Palm Beach County Division of Emergency Management. The county provides the Basic CERT Training for new CERT members. Otherwise, these 50+ CERTs operate indpendently and alone.
NIMS ICS required training for CERT members, managers and radio operators is not provided. No form of radio message preparation, network operational training, practice or drills is provided.
Independent and municipally sponsored CERT Programs in this geographic area can benefit from working with the
Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) and other
regional Emergency Service Organizations in three ways:
Develop an ARES organizational Interoperability Interface Document
which will help the organization publicise:
- What emergency services they require
- When it is appropriate to contact the organization requesting those services
- How to contact the organization (by landline, amateur radio or other available means of communications)
- What information is required to make a request for service
- Estimated response time
Using the ARES training venue which includes:
- American Radio Relay League(ARRL) and
FEMA - National Incident Management System(NIMS) courses
- Training in radio operation, network operation and network protocol
- Weekly on-the-air network practice sessions and local, county and state drills and exercises
- Expands on a national agreement already in place between ARRL and FEMA
and with ARRL and Citizen Corps, of which CERT is a part.
- Defines the specific ARES services your CERT would benefit from